The team thank the fans at the Georgios Karaiskakis
Match reports


Sevilla FC were inches away from a second UEFA Super Cup in Athens after losing on penalties to Manchester City
Cuerpo Superior

Sevilla FC were once again on the receiving end of a painful UEFA Super Cup defeat, losing 5-4 on penalties to Manchester City.

The team put in a quality performance against the European champions and led at half time. However, after a good number of chances to double their advantage, Sevilla could not hold on and the English side found an equaliser. In the shoot-out, with the score at 4-4 after four spot kicks apiece, Bono was inches away from denying Walker, before Gudelj hit the bar.

Sevilla started strongly and had their effort within two minutes, with Lamela firing wide after the team won possession in City's half. After a double chance moments later from Ocampos and En-Nesyri, the Premier League champions took control. Palmer and Grealish drew Bono into saves, but it was Aké who forced the Moroccan into the best save of the half.

Despite these efforts, it was Sevilla who went in front. Ocampos found Acuña down the line on the left-hand side, and his cross towards the penalty spot was met by En-Nesyri, who rose highest and headed the ball home via a deflection off the post. 

The rest of the first half saw no further clear-cut chances created. Óliver managed to pull the ball back for Lamela to shoot, but he was unable to wrap his foot round it and he failed to trouble Ederson.

Mendilibar's side didn't win on penalties this time round

However, Sevilla came straight out the blocks after the interval and twice came very close to doubling their lead, both via passes from Ocampos to En-Nesyri. The first one was just about stopped by Ederson, while Aké played a key role in denying the second. Lamela then came very close to finding En-Nesyri with a cross.

Despite these chances, City did find the equaliser, with Palmer heading home from a Rodri pass. The youngster nearly added a second, drawing a save from Bono, while Aké would also go close.

In the end, it was time for another penalty shoot-out. Both sides converted their first four, but there was to be no happy ending. Walker's effort narrowly beat Bono, who got a hand to it, before Gudelj's decisive penalty hit the crossbar. A tough blow for Sevilla, who gave a fine account of themselves against the English and European champions, but they ultimately fell short in a sixth consecutive UEFA Super Cup.

Next up for Sevilla is a trip to the Basque Country to face Deportivo Alavés on Monday evening.

Cuerpo Inferior


1. MANCHESTER CITY FC: Ederson, Walker, Akanji, Gvardiol, Aké, Kovacic, Rodrigo, Palmer (Álvarez, min. 85), Foden, Grealish and Haaland.

1. SEVILLA FC: Bono, Jesús Navas (Montiel, minuto 83), Badé, Gudelj, Acuña, Joan Jordán, Rakitic, Ocampos, Óliver Torres (Juanlu, min. 74), Lamela (Suso, min. 90+3) and En-Nesyri (Rafa Mir, min. 90+3).

GOALS: 0-1, min. 25: En-Nesyri; 1-1, min. 63: Palmer.

PENALTIES: 1-0, Haaland; 1-1, Ocampos; 2-1, Julián Álvarez; 2-2, Rafa Mir; 3-2, Kovacic; 3-3, Rakitic; 4-3, Grealish; 4-4, Montiel; 5-4, Walker; 5-4, Gudelj (miss).

REFEREE: François Letexier. Bookings for Badé, Lamela and Juanlu.